Washington D.C.— In a joint letter to the Subcommittee on Consumer Protection and Commerce, CFA, Kids In Danger, Consumer Reports, and Public Citizen voiced their support for six critical children’s product safety bills. The bills are:
- The STURDY Act (H.R. 2211)
- The Safe Cribs Act (H.R. 3170)
- The Safe Sleep Act (H.R. 3172)
- The Nicholas and Zachary Burt Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act of 2019 (H.R. 1618)
- The Portable Fuel Container Safety Act of 2019 (H.R. 806)
- The SOFFA Act (H.R. 2647)
In addition to the above six bills, the consumer groups also expressed their concern about how H.R. 3169, the FASTER Act, is being drafted. The bill creates a vast imbalance of power in the consumer product recall process by giving recalling companies all the leverage at the expense of the Consumer Product Safety Commission and consumers. The bill would result in more recalls that would not effectively remove dangerous products from use. The groups hope to continue work on the bill to ensure that consumer protections are not weakened.