The Consumer Federation of America, one of the nation’s leading nonprofit consumer advocacy organizations is seeking an energetic, proactive, highly organized person to provide administrative, research, advocacy, and social media assistance to the organization and its staff.
- Applicants must have strong interpersonal, organizational, computer, research, social media and writing skills.
- Interest in, or experience with, public interest advocacy is preferred.
Advocacy Administrative Support
- Track pending consumer legislation.
- Send letters to Members of Congress.
- Develop and update Congressional and regulatory contact databases.
Research and Writing
- Conduct legislative and public policy research for senior advocates working on financial services, product safety, energy, food safety and other high-profile consumer issues.
- Draft and edit letters, fact sheets and other written materials for Congress and the media.
Social Media Support
- Use Facebook, Twitter and Medium to prepare social media posts for policy staff.
- Develop graphics for use in social media and other organizational efforts.
- Proactively improve and diversify CFA’s social media presence.
Conference and Event Support
- Provide onsite and/or online support to the Director of Meetings & Events for in-person and virtual events
- Develop social media outreach plan and materials for pre-conference marketing
- Manage social media content during live in-person and online events
Organizational Administrative Support
- Assist in maintaining and updating website and computer network.
- Sort mail and monitor phone and electronic communications.
- Assist with large mailings, educational initiatives and at national consumer conferences.
- Provide administrative assistance to CFA’s Executive Director.
Consumer Federation of America is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability or veteran status, or to other non-work-related factors.
- Full Time Schedule
- 4-Year Degree Required
Include medical, dental, vision, 401k, paid holidays and sick leave.
How to Apply
- Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Subject Line: Consumer Federation of America Administrative and Advocacy Associate
- Direct your application to Rachel Weintraub, Legislative Director and General Counsel, CFA.
- Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to: Sara Cooper, 202-939-1014, email@example.com.
The Coalition for Sensible Safeguards (CSS) is seeking a coalition manager to grow the coalition, revitalize member engagement, represent the coalition in policymaking and advocacy settings, confront strategic regulatory challenges, and lay the groundwork for a proactive regulatory agenda. This is a mid-level leadership position, ideal for someone with an outgoing and entrepreneurial personality, experience organizing diverse institutional stakeholders, and public policy knowledge in the regulatory issue space.
CSS is a national alliance of more than 160 consumer, labor, scientific, research, faith, community, environmental, small business, good government, public health, and public interest groups – representing millions of Americans. These organizations are joined in the belief that America’s system of regulatory safeguards should secure a reasonable and fair quality of life, pave the way for a sound economy and benefit all. This coalition is committed to strengthening public protections, encouraging sound enforcement and repelling the ongoing attacks against commonsense regulatory safeguards.
The coalition is led by an executive committee of representatives from the AFL-CIO, the Center for Progressive Reform, Consumer Federation of America (CFA), the Economic Policy Institute, the Natural Resources Defense Council, Public Citizen and the Union of Concerned Scientists. The co-chairs are CFA and Public Citizen.
The Coalition Manager will be housed at CFA and will work closely with the CSS executive committee, CFA’s Legislative Director and Public Citizen’s Vice President of Legislative Affairs, and the CSS Communications Officer to plan and manage coalition activities.
- Lead the planning process to develop the coalition’s strategic vision and priorities, in collaboration with the executive committee;
- Implement and facilitate coalition strategies and tactics;
- Proactively look for ways to grow the coalition membership and increase member engagement;
- Represent the coalition in advocacy forums, conferences and other relevant venues;
- Manage relationships with the staff of partner organizations to coordinate shared resources and work products;
- Hire, supervise and direct CSS interns;
- Organize coalition and public interest community meetings and outreach efforts (e.g., sign-on letters, events, lobby meetings, briefings, etc.).
- Coordinate with the CSS communications officer on press outreach, social media activities, online strategies, document production and formatting, listserv maintenance, multimedia and other communications activities.
- A bachelor’s degree or higher;
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in nonprofit organizations, campaigns, advocacy work or government – including experience working with a diverse set of groups from grassroots activists to policy experts and communication staff;
- Strong writing skills, with the ability to create materials on regulatory policy topics;
- Good organizational skills, with the ability to conceptualize, propose and execute projects with minimal supervision; and
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, including direct outreach to potential and current members, meeting facilitation and public speaking.
Salary and Benefits:
Competitive non-profit salary commensurate with experience; excellent medical and dental coverage; and generous vacation policy.
Consumer Federation of America is an equal opportunity employer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to: Sara Cooper, 202-939-1014, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please send your resume and cover letter to Rachel Weintraub at email@example.com.
The Consumer Federation of America, a Washington, DC-based non-profit that works to advance the rights of consumers through research, advocacy and education, is seeking talented, motivated interns with an interest in food and product safety, consumer protection, and financial services.
Interns work with advocates to advance pro-consumer policy on a variety of issues before Congress, the White House, federal and state regulatory agencies, state legislatures, and the courts. They also assist with research to investigate consumer issues, such as high-cost credit, privacy, the safety of children’s products, and fish, meat and poultry inspection. CFA seeks applicants who are pursuing a graduate or law degree and who possess a high level of oral and written communication skills.
Based at the Consumer Federation of America’s office in Washington, DC, the internship is unpaid, though course credit can be given if the intern makes appropriate arrangements. In-city transportation stipends may be available. Full or part time.
To apply for an internship, submit a cover letter and resume to Sara Cooper. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Start and end dates flexible.