Seeking experienced advocate and organizer to join Consumer Federation of America’s financial services advocacy and outreach efforts as a key part of CFA’s financial services team.
Commitment to and experience with public interest advocacy is necessary.
- Playing a key role in CFA’s financial services advocacy and public policy work on high cost lending and credit, banking, fintech, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau rulemakings, student lending, and other consumer financial services issues.
- Managing CFA’s outreach efforts, including CFA’s annual lobby day efforts. This outreach will include contacting participants, building coalitions, drafting materials, establishing and executing plans.
- Both of these efforts will include:
- Leading a subset of financial services issues as part of financial services team, working with CFA’s Director of Financial Services and Legislative Director.
- Effectively advocating for consumers through research reports, communicating with Members of Congress and staff, and working with coalition partners.
- Leading High Cost Lending outreach efforts including managing meetings, establishing agendas and priorities.
- Communicating to CFA members and coalition partners through emails, phone calls, and written materials.
- Establishing contacts with Members of Congress.
- Documenting and tracking lobby day and other outreach efforts.
- Planning full day events, panels and speakers for conferences and training sessions.
- Assisting efforts to build CFA Membership.
- Coordinating and drafting grant reporting.
- Leading CFA’s Policy Resolution process that establishes the scope of CFA’s advocacy.
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest advocacy.
- At least 5 years’ experience as an advocate/organizer.
- Excellent communication, writing and editing skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field; master’s degree or law degree valued.
- Self-motivated, hardworking and team player.
If interested, please send a cover letter and resume to Rachel Weintraub, CFA’s Legislative Director and General Counsel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Consumer Federation of America (CFA) seeks a communications manager for a national campaign to promote personal saving among American households. The campaign is managed by America Saves, a CFA program that works with a wide range of banks and credit unions, government agencies, employers, and other institutions to motivate individuals to build savings, starting with an emergency fund.
The communications manager will be responsible for developing and implementing B2B2C communications strategies to engage partners and consumers through website, email, video, SMS, and social media channels. This hire will work closely with the America Saves and Military Saves directors and manage a highly-motivated communications team that focuses on creating measurable strategies and works collaboratively to achieve success.
- Create and implement communications strategy and social marketing campaigns that promote and support savings; develop strategies for media relations and events
- Manage communications team, contractors, and vendors
- Test, draft, and evaluate targeted, compelling messaging for a range of audiences including savers, local campaigns, aligned partners, government agencies, thought leaders, and industry stakeholders
- Counsel organizational leadership on effective communication strategies; prepare and staff organization’s principals at press conferences and speaking engagements
- Plan and implement strategy for America Saves Week, the campaign’s premier annual event
- Create and analyze comprehensive (website, media, saver signup, etc.) goals and milestones for America Saves, America Saves Week, Military Saves, and related initiatives
- Coordinate initiatives with local campaigns and aligned partners designed to promote savings, the organization, and its services to the community
- Compile and report key organizational and communications metrics including data on pledges, website traffic, media mentions, and social media engagement
- Ensure branding standards and guidelines are upheld
- Assist in creating, distributing, monitoring, and analyzing opinion research and surveys for America Saves, America Saves Week, local campaigns, and partner resource packets
- Stay up to date with changes in the marketing environment to best serve the objectives of the organization and adjust plans accordingly
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, strategic communications, or related field; Master’s degree a plus
- Minimum eight years of related experience
- Staff management experience required
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement effective communications strategies for complex subjects, including but not limited to retirement, personal savings, personal finance, and financial capability preferred
- Demonstrated success in engaging audiences through digital channels including SMS, email, and social media
- Experience communicating with low- and moderate-income communities
- Excellent copywriting and proofreading skills
- Ability to work extended hours, while rare, when necessary
- 100% employer-paid health care, dental, vision, and long-term disability insurance
- Three weeks paid vacation to start and three personal days
- Federal holidays and the day after Thanksgiving
- Paid sick leave
- 401(k) retirement plan with employer contribution after the first year
Consumer Federation of America is an equal opportunity employer.
Submit cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com.
The Consumer Federation of America, a Washington, DC-based non-profit that works to advance the rights of consumers through research, advocacy and education, is seeking talented, motivated interns with an interest in food and product safety, consumer protection, and financial services.
Interns work with advocates to advance pro-consumer policy on a variety of issues before Congress, the White House, federal and state regulatory agencies, state legislatures, and the courts. They also assist with research to investigate consumer issues, such as high-cost credit, privacy, the safety of children’s products, and fish, meat and poultry inspection. CFA seeks applicants who are pursuing a graduate or law degree and who possess a high level of oral and written communication skills.
Based at the Consumer Federation of America’s office in Washington, DC, the internship is unpaid, though course credit can be given if the intern makes appropriate arrangements. In-city transportation stipends may be available. Full or part time.
To apply for an internship, submit a cover letter and resume to Sara Cooper. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Start and end dates flexible.