The Consumer Federation of America (CFA) seeks a communications manager of a national campaign to promote personal saving among American households. The campaign is managed by America Saves, a CFA program that works with a wide range of banks and credit unions, government agencies, employers, and other institutions to motivate individuals to build savings, starting with an emergency fund.
The communications manager will be responsible for developing and implementing B2B2C communications strategies to engage partners and consumers through website, email, video, SMS, and social media channels. He or she will work closely with the America Saves director, Military Saves director, and manage a highly-motivated communications team that focuses on creating measurable strategies and working collaboratively to achieve success.
- Create and implement communications strategy and social marketing campaigns that promote and support savings, with a focus on low- and moderate-income households; develop strategies for media relations, digital marketing, and events
- Manage communications team, contractors, and vendors
- Test, draft, and evaluate targeted, compelling messaging for a range of audiences including savers, local campaigns, aligned partners, government agencies, thought leaders, and industry stakeholders
- Counsel organizational leadership on effective communication strategies; prepare and staff organization’s principals at press conferences and speaking engagements
- Plan and implement strategy for America Saves Week, the campaign’s premier annual event
- Create and analyze comprehensive (website, media, saver signup, etc.) goals and milestones for America Saves, America Saves Week, Military Saves, and related initiatives
- Coordinate initiatives with local campaigns and aligned partners designed to promote savings, the organization, and its services to the community
- Compile and report key organizational and communications metrics including data on pledges, website traffic, media mentions, and social media engagement
- Ensure branding standards and guidelines are upheld
- Assist in creating, distributing, monitoring, and analyzing opinion research and surveys for America Saves, America Saves Week, local campaigns, and partner resource packets
- Stay up-to-date with changes in the marketing environment to best serve the objectives of the organization and adjusts plans accordingly
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, strategic communications, or related field; master’s degree a plus
- Minimum five years of related experience in nonprofit communications
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement effective communications strategies for complex subjects, including but not limited to retirement, personal savings, personal finance, and financial capability
- Experience communicating with low- and moderate-income communities
- Staff management experience
- Excellent copywriting and proofreading skills
- Demonstrated success engaging audiences through digital channels including SMS, email, and social media
- Ability to work extended hours, while rare, when necessary
Consumer Federation of America is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, visit americasaves.org/learn-more-about-us/join-our-team.
Public Policy Internship
The Consumer Federation of America, a Washington, DC-based non-profit that works to advance the rights of consumers through research, advocacy and education, is seeking talented, motivated interns with an interest in food and product safety, consumer protection, and financial services.
Interns work with advocates to advance pro-consumer policy on a variety of issues before Congress, the White House, federal and state regulatory agencies, state legislatures, and the courts. They also assist with research to investigate consumer issues, such as high-cost credit, privacy, the safety of children’s products, and fish, meat and poultry inspection. CFA seeks applicants who are pursuing a graduate or law degree and who possess a high level of oral and written communication skills.
Based at the Consumer Federation of America’s office in Washington, DC, the internship is unpaid, though course credit can be given if the intern makes appropriate arrangements. In-city transportation stipends may be available. Full or part time.
To apply for an internship, submit a cover letter and resume to Sara Cooper. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Start and end dates flexible.