The Consumer Federation of America (CFA), a national nonprofit association, is seeking an energetic, proactive, highly organized person to provide administrative, research and advocacy assistance to the organizations and its staff.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Applicants must have strong interpersonal, computer, research, and writing skills.
- Interest in, or experience with, public interest advocacy is preferred.
- Advocacy Administrative Support
- Help prepare and submit periodic lobbying activity reports.
- Track pending consumer legislation.
- Send letters to Members of Congress.
- Develop and update Congressional and regulatory contact databases.
Research and Writing
- Conduct legislative and public policy research for senior advocates working on financial services, product safety, energy, food safety and other high-profile consumer issues.
- Draft and edit letters, fact sheets and other written materials for Congress and the media.
- Organizational Administrative Support
- Assist in maintaining and updating web site and computer network.
- Assist in social media outreach efforts.
- Sort mail and monitor phone and electronic communications.
- Assist with large mailings, educational initiatives and at national consumer conferences.
- Coordinate collection of staff monthly activity reports.
- Provide administrative assistance to CFA’s Executive Director.
- Salary is based on experience.
- Include medical, dental, vision, 401k, paid holidays and sick leave.
- Washington, DC
- Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Subject Line: Consumer Federation of America Administrative and Advocacy Associate
- Direct your application to Rachel Weintraub, Legislative Director and General Counsel, CFA.
- Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Consumer Federation of America is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability or veteran status, or to other non-work-related factors.
The Coalition for Sensible Safeguards (CSS) is a national alliance of more than 150 consumer, labor, scientific, research, faith, community, environmental, small business, good government, public health and public interest groups — representing millions of Americans.
CSS is led by an executive committee of representatives from the AFL-CIO, Center for Progressive Reform, Consumer Federation of America, National resource Defense Council, Public Citizen, and the Union of Concerned Scientists. The co-chairs are Public Citizen and Consumer Federation of America. Public Citizen is a national, non-partisan, public interest group with over 500,000 members and supporters. Public Citizen conducts public education campaigns and advocates before the Congress and administrative agencies on money in politics, open government, corporate accountability, financial regulation, public health and safety and access to justice. Consumer Federation of America (CFA) is an association of non-profit consumer organizations that was established in 1968 to advance the consumer interest through research, advocacy, and education. CFA will house and manage the Coalition Coordinator, who will be a member of CFA’s staff.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION: The CSS Coalition Coordinator will work closely with the CSS executive committee, the co-chairing organizations, Public Citizen’s Vice President of Legislative Affairs and CFA’s Legislative Director to coordinate and manage the coalition.
- Lead the planning processes to develop the Coalition’s strategic vision, priorities and set goals with the eight member executive committee.
- Implement and facilitate execution of the established strategies and priorities.
- Manage CSS projects and campaigns to achieve larger coalition goals, in both administrative and legislative forums.
- Ensure the positions and work of CSS is represented in the larger national advocacy community through the media, Congressional relationships, at conferences, in related coalitions and in other venues.
- Proactively looks for ways to improve and grow the Coalition.
- Manage relationships with staff of partner organizations to coordinate shared resources and work products.
- Supervise and direct CSS staff and interns, including independent creation of work plans for interns.
- Organize coalition and public interest community meetings and outreach efforts (e.g., sign-on letters, weekly events notices, coalition media and social media campaigns).
- Ensure e-mail listservs, CSS website (in collaboration with the CSS Communications Coordinator), and social media networks are maintained and expanded.
- A bachelor’s degree or higher, and at least 5 years of relevant experience in nonprofit organizations, campaigns, advocacy work, or government offices, including experience working with a diverse set of groups from grassroots activists to policy experts and communication staff.
- Strong writing skills, with the ability to create materials on regulatory policy topics.
- Good organizational skills, with the ability to conceptualize, propose, and execute projects with minimal supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, including meeting facilitation and public speaking.
Please send resume and cover letter to Rachel Weintraub at email@example.com.
America Saves, a national campaign to promote personal savings, seeks a dynamic and motivated communications coordinator. The communications coordinator will work closely with the senior communications manager and digital engagement strategist to assist in creating, formatting, and distributing information to multiple target audiences. This full-time position is located two blocks from the White House in Washington, DC. Applications from remote candidates will not be considered.
- Supporting day-to-day operations of multiple websites and social media channels to keep audiences engaged
- Writing content for social media platforms, blogs, web pages and more.
- Posting content to website and social media accounts
- Tracking performance of website and social media accounts
- Tracking the editorial calendar, keeping content up to date, and helping ensure communication products are on schedule.
- Writing, editing and managing blogs; securing guest posts
- Supporting on-going email and text message marketing strategies
- Researching and distributing media clips
- Tracking use of partner resource packets and creating tailored analytical and benchmarking reports.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations or related field of study
- Minimum 2-3 years of related professional experience
- Experience with content management systems, email marketing programs, and social media platforms
- Excellent copyediting, grammar, spelling, and proofreading skills
- Must be highly organized, self-motivated, a team player, and able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud products a plus
- Interest or experience with personal finance issues preferred
- 100% employer-paid health care, dental, vision, and long-term disability insurance
- Three weeks paid vacation to start and three personal days
- Federal holidays and the day after Thanksgiving
- Generous paid sick leave
- 401(k) retirement plan with employer contribution after the first year
Consumer Federation of America is an equal opportunity employer.
Submit cover letter, resume, and relevant links to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Consumer Federation of America, a Washington, DC-based non-profit that works to advance the rights of consumers through research, advocacy and education, is seeking talented, motivated interns with an interest in food and product safety, consumer protection, and financial services.
Interns work with advocates to advance pro-consumer policy on a variety of issues before Congress, the White House, federal and state regulatory agencies, state legislatures, and the courts. They also assist with research to investigate consumer issues, such as high-cost credit, privacy, the safety of children’s products, and fish, meat and poultry inspection. CFA seeks applicants who are pursuing a graduate or law degree and who possess a high level of oral and written communication skills.
Based at the Consumer Federation of America’s office in Washington, DC, the internship is unpaid, though course credit can be given if the intern makes appropriate arrangements. In-city transportation stipends may be available. Full or part time.
To apply for an internship, submit a cover letter and resume to Sara Cooper. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Start and end dates flexible.