Washington, D.C. — A coalition of over 110 consumer, environmental and public health groups sent a joint letter to members of the U.S. Senate urging them to oppose President Trump’s nominee to chair the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Nancy Beck. In their letter, the groups discuss five major areas of concern over Beck’s record including:
- Beck’s record on Per and polyfluroalkyl substances (PFAS),
- Beck’s implementation of the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), which has been rejected by Federal Courts and scientific peer reviewers,
- Criticism for distorting science and undermining health protections,
- Her role in suppressing Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidance to help the country reopen in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic and,
- How the CPSC would be Beck’s biggest perch to weaken safety standards and undermine science.