QUICK CAR BUYING TIPS
- Before you visit a dealer, line up good financing with a bank or credit union.
- Before you negotiate the price of a new car, check for price information at www.edmunds.com; for a used car, check the value at www.kbb.com.
- Never tell the dealer how much you are willing to spend per month; instead, negotiate a fair cash price for the car.
- Negotiate the price of the new car first, before the dealer evaluates how much you’ll get for your trade-in. Keep negotiations separate and beware of a monthly car note that hides the price of the new car and what you are getting for the trade-in.
- For used cars, get an independent, expert vehicle inspection before you buy.
- Check the vehicle’s Vehicle ID Number (VIN) at vehiclehistory.gov; other vehicle history reports may be unreliable.
- Test drive the vehicle and examine it closely for signs of prior damage.