ATVs are More Dangerous on Roads
In spite of warnings from manufacturers, federal agencies, and consumer and safety advocates
that all terrain vehicles (ATVs) are unsafe on roadways, for several years an increasing number of
states have passed laws allowing ATVs on public roads, and additional states and counties are currently considering such laws. The majority of ATV deaths take place on these roads and action is needed to reverse this dangerous trend.
In response to this problem, CFA has brought together a coalition of individuals and organizations dedicated to reducing deaths and injuries caused by All-Terrain Vehicles.
As part of our efforts to reverse the trend toward increased ATV use on roads, our coalition works together to educate the public and decision makers about the dangers of allowing ATVs on roads.
- CFA Report: This report analyzes the law regarding ATV use on roads in 50 states and the District of Columbia and shows a trend toward states legalizing, and implicitly endorsing, ATV use on roads. CFA calls for immediate action at the municipal, county, state, and federal level to prohibit ATVs on roadways.
- IIHS Report: IIHS analyzed data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Fatality Analysis Reporting System, which has data about on-road ATV-related deaths. IIHS found that during the period 2007-2011, there were 1,701 ATV rider deaths in on-road crashes.
- Denning, Harland, Ellis, Jennissen, Article in Injury Prevention: Over 60% of all fatalities (1985–2009) resulted from roadway crashes.
- Jennissen, Harland, Wetjen, Peck, Hoogerwerf, Denning, Article in Annals of Family Medicine: At least 75% of students reported having been on an ATV, and most riders engaged in risky behaviors, including riding on public roads (81%).
- ATV Safety Institute’s Golden Rules: Rule number two warns riders to never use ATVs on paved roads.
- CPSC ATV Safety Page: A variety of ATV safety information and statistics.
- IIHS ATV Fatality Facts: Deaths of ATV riders on public roads have increased dramatically in the last 30 years.
By tracking news reports, coalition members compile an ongoing spreadsheet of ATV fatalities. As of January 31, we identified 22 OHV fatalities in 2016, mostly comprised of ATV and ROV deaths.
Monthly Coalition Fatality Data Report
Each month the OSC generates a data table of year to date fatality data for all OHVs (including ATVs, ROVs, unknown OHVs, and custom built OHVs), ATVs, ROVs, UTVs, and unknown OHVs.
Click here for the monthly report for all OHV fatalities, comprised mostly of ATVs and ROV fatalities, which includes data from January 1 to January 31, 2016.
- Child Injury Prevention Alliance
- Concerned Families for ATV Safety
- Consumer Federation of America
- Injury Prevention Center at Arkansas Children’s Hospital
- Iowa ATV Injury Prevention Task Force
- Gerene Denning, PhD
- Charles Jennissen, MD
- The Safety Institute
- State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company
- The Trauma Foundation
Our coalition members have signed onto letters opposing proposed ordinances, laws and polices that would endanger the public by increasing recreational ATV access to roads.
Louisa County Board of Supervisors 12/15/15
Humboldt County Board of Supervisors 12/18/15
Cherokee City Council 10/19/15
City of Swisher 6/8/15
Belmond City Council 5/29/15
Iowa Independence City Council 4/16/2015
Clayton County Iowa Board of Supervisors 4/01/2015
Sac County Iowa Board of Supervisors 5/1/14
Kossuth County Board of Supervisors 5/1/14
Hopkinton Select Board 9/8/15
New York Senate 6/12/15
Brasher Town Board 5/29/15
New York State Assembly A04971-A Ways and Means Committee 6/19/14
Jamestown City Council 10/27/15
Jamestown City Council 7/8/15
Hampton Township Pennsylvania Council 10/6/14
Letter in support of New Castle City Pennsylvania City Council’s Proposed Ban 5/27/14
Tennessee General Assembly 1/21/15
Klickitat County Board of County Commissioners 9/23/15
Dayton City Council 7/22/15
Okanogan County Board of Commissioners 6/19/15
Forks City Council 5/29/15
Washington Acting Forest Supervisor 3/26/15
Winthrop Washington Town Council 8/20/14
Supervisor Laura Jo West Colville National Forest 7/7/14
Asotin County Washington County Commission 6/13/14
Omak City Washington City Council 5/27/14
Benton County Board of County Commissioners 5/20/14
Clallum County Washington Board of County Commissioners 5/14/14
Okanogan County Washington County Commissioners 5/12/14
Kittias County Washington County Commissioners 5/1/14
Supervisor Mike Balboni Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest 5/1/14
Plover Town Board 1/29/16
Douglas County Board of Supervisors 11/17/15
Wisconsin Price County Board of Supervisors 3/26/15
Crystal Lake Wisconsin Town Board 11/12/14
Eagle River Wisconsin City Council 9/11/14
Pepin Township Wisconsin Board 8/20/14
Salem Wisconsin Town Board 5/1/14
- Bridget Huber, Despite High Death Toll, Push is On to Open More Public Roads to ATVs, Fair Warning, 3/10/14.
- Bridget Huber, Consumer Advocates Urge Banning ATVs from Roadways, Citing Crash Hazards, Fair Warning, 3/14/14.
- James Hanseen, Van Dyken-Rouen Injury Tragic Reminder of ATV Dangers, NCSL Blog, 6/24/14.
- Myra Arthur, States Increasing ATV Access to Roads, Despite Warnings, 02/01/15.
- Lisa Rathke, Groton Rejects ATV Use on Some Roads, 03/03/2015.
- Nate Fluharty, Counsil Approves Ordinance to Eliminate ATV Riding in Moundsville, 03/03/2015.
- Bob Beckstead, Coalition Urges Brasher Town Board Members to Oppose ATV Traffic on Public Roads, 05/31/15.
- Angela M. Hill, ATVs Are Dangerous and Deadly on Public Roads, 06/01/15.
- Myron Levin, Off-Road Industry Looks to Congress to Put Brakes on Safety Regulation, 06/25/15.
- Mitchell Northam, ATV’s: Safety vs. Thrills a Challenge, 07/13/15.
- Vikki Ortiz Healy, Illinois Lacks Guidelines on ATV Safety, 07/25/15.
- Keith Norman, ATV Safety: Safety Group Raises Concerns Over Street Use of ATVs, 08/10/15.
- Dick Hakes, Pediatric ER Doc Patiently Pushes ATV Safety, 09/04/15.
- John Myers, St. Louis County Moves Toward ATVs on Roads, 09/08/15.
- 357 Off-Road Vehicle Deaths Documented in 2015, 09/08/15.
- Des Moines Register Editorial, Ban ATVs from Public Roads, 10/18/15.
- Jim Rudisill, Doctors Say Keep ATVs Off Louisa County Roads, 12/02/15.
- Scott McFetridge, ATVs a Challenge for Lawmakers, 01/13/16.
- Des Moines Register Editorial, Ban ATVs from Iowa Roads, 01/20/16.
- New Study Finds that ATVs Should Not be Operated on Paved or Unpaved Roads, 07/02/15. (PDF)
- ATV Deaths Increase Slightly for Children, While Injuries Suffered by all Riders Decreased, 03/04/2015. (PDF)
- ATV and ROV Deaths Exceed 500 for 2014, 12/22/14. (PDF)
- As Memorial Day Approaches, ATV Riders Face Risks, 05/22/2014. (PDF)
- ATVs are Dangers to Children: Must be Designed Safer, 04/24/2014. (PDF)
- States Are Increasingly Allowing ATVs on Roads Despite Warnings from Industry, Advocates and Federal Government 03/13/2014. (PDF)